Monday, December 08, 2008

working for free

i just read this great quote from a recent strobist post on the ever-prevalent discussion about working for free:

"When a company or organization asks you to work for free they may be (okay, probably are) taking advantage of you. When you are in control, no one can take advantage of you. You have the ability to offer your work for free, but you retain the ability to decline a request to work for free"

genius, and so well stated. i often find myself wobbling on the fine line that is between getting an estimate in that compensates me for my work while still fitting the (oft very low) budget. and while i generally purport the idea that devaluing my work lowers bar for the whole industry (and thereby my ability to get future jobs), i think i've come around to a new way of thinking. i am responsible for my own wobbly fine line and will walk it responsibly. i already feel liberated by the empowering idea of offering my work for free to people i want to collaborate with. first on my agenda: food runners (check them out, they rock).


No comments:

Post a Comment